Fall & my Father
I've been thinking about my Dad alot lately. Of course, a day doesn't go by that I don't think about him, but I've really been missing him this past week, just wishing I could have one more conversation with him...
I think it may the weather. Fall always reminds me of my Dad. School is back in full swing, and everyone who knows him knows his life revolved around Elkmont High. Friday nite Football has started, and I can't remember a Friday nite from when I was a baby until he was physically unable,that he was not at the game. You would find him standing on the sideline greeting the crowd and cheering on the Devils. (Yes Bham friends, our mascot is the Red Devil!)And, I guess I am a little sad that my baby boy is almost one and Dad never got to meet him. He would have LOVED Davis. I know many girls look up to their Fathers, and I did mine. But it's even more than that. He lived by example. He didn't have to tell me how to act, I saw how he acted and reacted to people and various situations. It made me the person I am. I heard an old country song this morning: "I'm seeing my Father in me, guess that's how its meant to be...and I find Im more and more like him each day..." Which could not be more true. Of course, he was not Perfect, but I had just a few thoughts about him today:
He demanded perfection...............But he would help you get it right
He was stubborn......................But you always knew what he stood for
He made you work hard................But he'd be working right along with you
He was strict........................But he was FAIR
He was a bit of a tight-wad :).......But he would give to anyone in need
He didn't coddle people..............Which made praise from him even more special
because you knew it was genuine
He had a tough exterior..............But having three girls made him tender-hearted
I love you Dad and I miss you.


9 Comments:
What a beautiful tribute to your Dad.
I started tearing up from the first few lines and then it just flowed all the way through. Thanks for sharing this.
Be especially grateful you've written these thoughts down.
Love You!
PS-that country song you referred to needs to be taken OFF the radio...because it's way to sad/sweet and I've almost wrecked over it. ;)
Thanks for sharing all those thoughts about your dad. It makes me realize some things I need to appreciate more in my own dad.
Lacy, I know this is a difficult time for you, and I apologize for being so self-absorbed in my own self-pity that I haven't really focused on the needs of you, my friend. But, you are always in my thoughts and prayers, and I am so blessed to have you as part of my life. Your parents did such a wonderful job raising such loving, friendly girls . . . like you said in the card you sent me after my grandfather's death, I know your dad and my grandfather are looking down from Heaven commenting on how proud they are of us. Your dad is, no doubt in my mind, bragging about you and your kids to everybody up there. And, he has come to know Davis, maybe in a deeper way than even you know him. You know how babies have those little spontaneous smiles? Well, to me, they are smiling at angels - like your dad. I love ya, girl; and I'm only a phone call away (no matter where you are).
I hope one day that someone says things about me that are half that noble. WOW! What a great man!
You are in my thoughts and my prayers. I completely understand what you are feeling. My father passed away almost five years ago, and there are still certain times of the year that bring back so many emotions. I wish my father had lived to see my son too. My father thought an awful lot of your father. They both loved the schools they worked in for so many years. Even years after he left Tanner for the central office, my dad still played the piano every spring at graduation. You are so strong to be able to put your emotions out there for others to share.
Very nice, Lacy. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
I couldn't agree with your description of your Dad more! I loved working for your Dad. I appreciate all he did for me. I remember one time being in his office and having to make a big job decision and being upset and he talked with me and encouraged me. I am such a sensitive person and I think he knew what people needed and he gave it to them. I needed someone to listen and guide me and he did that. He said "Lori, I'm going to tell you just like I'd tell one of my own girls"...and from that statement I knew he cared about me and my future. I admired him so much and I will never forget him!
My heart breaks for you girl. There is nothing like the bond between a father and daughter and I cannot imagine the loss you must still feel on a daily basis. You babies will know your Dad through you in the stories, pictures, and memories you share with them. I bet he is so proud of the woman you are!
Lacy,
You are 100 per cent right about your dad...I miss him and know how much he loved Elkmont and his girls.
He was one of a kind.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home