Davis's First Hospital Stay a.k.a. Trying to keep a tiger in his cage

WHEW~
After what I thought was going to be a quick doc visit for some antibiotics, we are finally home from a 3 day stint in the hospital. Here's the quick version...
Davis kept waking up through the nite Thursday screaming. I would calm him down, get him back to sleep, and an hour or so later it would start again. Around 3 a.m., the wheezing began. We went straight to the Doctor Friday morning and he was really struggling with his breathing then. Dr.H sent us right on down to the hospital.
It started off bad. The nurse stuck him three times before finding a vein, which I was NOT happy about. Those that know me know that I am very laid-back and nothing really sets me off. UNTIL you hurt my babies. I really had to bite my tongue on that one. (In their defense, the rest of the stay was grand- he especially loved his respiratory therapist:))

So, he had to be hooked up to an I.V., oxygen(only while sleeping) and a monitor on his toe. For those who know Davis well, you can imagine how fun this was for him! He was miserable. I really don't think he ever felt that bad, he just hated being tied down. It was like trying to keep a tiger in a cage. Or as I affectionately compared, a 24 hour church service. (Marion Street friends will understand that one!)
Friday afternoon, we had to go out in the hallway, while hooked up to everything, during the tornadoes. WILD!
Friday nite, he ripped out his I.V., pulled off the oxygen (while also taking a swing at the nurse) and got the tape off his toe....Needless to say it was a looooooooong nite. The nurses just couldn't get over how strong he was. However, he charmed them all & they all fell in love with him and were sad to see him go today.
Late yesterday afternoon, the decided to unhook him from everything and just push the meds through his iv as needed. He was bouncing off the wall after that. We took wagon rides, rode the bed up and down, up and down, played hide&seek in the closets...and climbed on everything in sight. MawMaw & Leigh came by, as did Nana, Papa, and Chigger.

note: I would like to take this time to thank Auntie Lisa for introducing Davis to pixy stix. He really needed a little sugar in his diet.:)It was so sweet when Avery came to see him last nite...you could tell they missed each other!
The final diagnosis was bacterial pneumonia. They also think he as allergy-induced asthma, and we will deal with that once the pneumonia is all gone.
As much as I despised being in the hospital, I did enjoy my cuddly one on one time with my sweet little man. He and I both were skipping out of there this beautiful Sunday afternoon. We are now home with antibiotics, steroids, and a nebulizer. But we ARE not in the hospital! God is good.
A few funnies from the stay:
1. They tried to put a regular pediatric id bracelet on Davis- Surprise it didnt fit! He had to get the adult version.
2. Avery called what he had: new Momya. She now says new-monya. A little better:)
3. He wouldn't eat the food. MIKEY who eats everything. What does that say about hospital food.


4 Comments:
SO glad to hear he is doing better and at home. Didn't know until today at lunch. Sounds like he has a little bit of the Williams' physical "stoutness" as well. I've heard Daddy Jake & George talk about things they & their brothers did when they were young--they were all tough boys that's for sure. Hope sweet Davis continues to improve--Love, Della
I'm so glad that he is doing better. I've had you guys in my prayers!!
Emily
Glad Davis is home and your miserable hospital stay is over! I can't imagine- I think your comparison to the 24 hour church service is probable right on. Since you and I are often out before the Lord's Supper, I know that must have been awful for you!! If you need anything let us know- we've been doing home breathing tx for Noah for a couple of years now.
So glad y'all are home and Davis is feeling better! Don't know what it is about that monitor on the toe, it's what bugged V the most too!!!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home