Sunday, February 10, 2008

Happy Birthday Daddy!



Today is my Dad's birthday. For reasons I will never understand, he will be celebrating it in Heaven instead of here with us. I think about him everyday and often wish I could call him for advice or just to chat. Today instead of being sad, I thought I would list some of my FAVORITE memories I have of him.
*singing on the front porch swing while he played guitar
*catching a possum for me and even making a little shoebox house for him to live in in the shed
*him pulling me and my sisters around in the snow- he attached a sled to the lawnmower!!!
* driving us like a crazy person on the go-cart in the pasture
*Saturday trips to my Grandma's
*trying to help him get his tractor un-stuck...I ran the tires in manure & got it all over him
*him getting my Mom a Steak-n-Shake shirt for Valentine's Day- and being quite proud of himself!
*Hugging me as I got my diploma, while everyone else got a handshake :)
*my wedding-walking me down the aisle, sharing a dance, & hearing him tell everyone how much this wedding cost!!! (for those who don't know, my Dad was a bit of a tightwad...)

Happy Birthday Daddy! I wish you were here to see Avery & Davis. She would crack you up & you would be amazed at how smart she is! Davis is the sweetest baby ever, and when he smiles, I can see you. We all love and miss you very much!!

I like to think my Dad would respond like this:

I'm Free

I'm following the path God laid for me.
I took His hand when I heard Him call,
I turned my back and left it all.
I could not stay another day
To laugh, to love, to work or play.
Tasks left undone must stay that way.
I've found that peace at the close of day.
If my parting has left a void,
Then fill it with remembered joy.
A friendship shared, a laugh, a kiss,
Ah, yes, these things I too will miss.
Be not burdened with times of sorrow
I wish you the sunshine of tomorrow.
My life's been full I savored much,
Good friends, good times, a loved one's touch.
Perhaps my time seemed all too brief,
Don't lengthen it now with undue grief.
Lift up your heart and share with me,
God wanted me now; He set me free.

--Helen Steiner Rice

15 Comments:

At February 10, 2008 at 11:42 AM , Blogger Michelle and Jason said...

Oh, Lacy. My heart is breaking just reading this. I can't imagine how difficult it must be for you! But, please know that we're here for you if you need anything. I love you, girl!

 
At February 10, 2008 at 11:57 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

very sweet and precious. i know how you feel and share the heartache, but know that he is seeing avery and davis and perhaps is one of their angels. we don't know these things or understand them, but we will someday. love you.

 
At February 10, 2008 at 1:57 PM , Blogger BlessedMom said...

This was beautiful! Your dad is more with you then you'll ever fully realize. And I'm positive he's smiling down with pride at the wonderful mother his daughter has become.

 
At February 10, 2008 at 2:01 PM , Blogger Pat Williams said...

God bless you & all of the precious memories you have of your daddy. I truly do understand how you feel.
Love you,
Pat

 
At February 10, 2008 at 2:32 PM , Blogger Jenny G said...

I am thinking about you today and said a little prayer for you this morning, I can't imagine what it is like for you. I am here for you, whatever you need.

 
At February 10, 2008 at 2:56 PM , Blogger Rebekah D. said...

Reading this makes me think of my own Dad, who pulled us behind the truck in the snow, hugged me when I got my diploma (he was on the ABS board then) and is a bit of a tightwad, too! I can't imagine not being able to just pick up the phone and call him, and it's hard for me to imagine what you, your mom, Leigh and Ivy have gone through at such a young age. I see how much joy my Dad gets from playing with all his grandkids and watching their antics, and I know your Dad is smiling down on Davis, too - and laughing at Avery's fashion sense! He sees and loves you all still.

 
At February 10, 2008 at 8:41 PM , Blogger jbullington said...

Lacy, I was just checking your web and saw you and your Dad's picture.
Oh how I wish he could be here with ya'll. There's not a day that goes by that I don't think of him and how much he loved ya'll.
God called him home before we were ready but he has him in his care.
I'm thinking of ya'll.

Love, Aunt Joan

 
At February 10, 2008 at 9:38 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just a day early, wasn't sure if you knew. But none the less, our feelings are still the same. This made me cry, probably because I hold a lot inside about him. I miss him so much too, and wish everyday he could be here to enjoy life and his grandchildren. I hope he is watching us and protecting us. I'd like to think he is.

 
At February 11, 2008 at 12:49 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lacy, Thank you for saying those
things about papa.I hope he is watching down on us. He would be so proud of all you. And he would love Riley, Avery and Davis. I miss him so much. I wish everyday we had just one more day with him.
Thanks for giving me Avery and Davis. They are my life. Without
them I would have never made it these past year and a half. I love you. Mama (maw Maw)

 
At February 11, 2008 at 12:52 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was me who wrote. Don't know how it showed up anonymous. But it was me. Love mama

 
At February 11, 2008 at 8:30 AM , Blogger Sissy Baugher Brown said...

Lacy~
Loved the tribute to your daddy...i remember him quite well. I can't even imagine..I'm one of those daddy's girls too. and WOW--Didn't realize how much Davis looks like your daddy until the pics you just posted..He is definately looking down on you girls..and I know he is so proud of all of you!

 
At February 11, 2008 at 7:12 PM , Blogger Ali said...

I know ya'll miss him more and more everyday, I know I do. I like to think Uncle Steve is looking down on us and getting a good laugh. He is probably thinking in his head of a better way for us to be doing everything :)
We love and miss all of you!

 
At February 11, 2008 at 8:00 PM , Blogger Leanne Helums said...

Oh, Lacy. This made me cry. I think so much of him. He is one of the best. Thinking of you today.

 
At February 11, 2008 at 10:04 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Lacy~ Your words were so wonderful about your dad, it brought tears to my eyes. I am sure he is with you and your children everyday. Always remember a little of your dad is in your children.

 
At February 14, 2008 at 10:48 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

lacy, i cried when i saw steve's pic. i will never understand never. i had him longer than you did and i miss him so so much. when i think of him i picture him smiling, which he did a lot. he was the anchor for us 7 the voice of reasoning. so many good childhood memories. i would like to think he and aunt martha are on the same cloud somewhere i know they are laughing and smiling smiling down on those precious babies. don't ever let those babies not know who these two are and uncle ben too, show them pictures tell them stories don't let these babies miss knowing these wonderful people. they played such a special place in my life and heart, i can't imagine my life without them having been in it. love to all.. shela

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home